Navronne's brutal civil war has exposed corruption that could bring the once glorious kingdom to its knees, unless someone can be found to stop it. . .
An aristocratic, magically gifted portrait artist's life is irredeemably transformed when his portraits begin to show things he couldn't possibly know. His own people accuse him of murder and beings of legend insist his magic breaks the world. His pursuit of answers leads him to a hidden military fortress, a mentor who steals his memory and his soul, and a terrible truth hidden two centuries in the past and beyond the boundaries of the world.
About the Author
Carol Berg majored in mathematics at Rice University so she wouldn't have to write papers. But at the same time she took every English course that listed novels on the syllabus, just so she would have time to keep reading. Somewhere in the midst of raising three sons, earning a computer science degree at the University of Colorado, and pursuing a software engineering career, a friend teased her into exchanging letters written "in character." The game quickly got out of hand. Since her first novel was published in 2000, Carol has taught writing in the US, Europe, and Canada, was flown to Israel as a guest of the Israeli science fiction community, and answered mail from as far away as New Zealand, Kuwait, the slopes of Denali, and beneath the Mediterranean Sea. Her epic fantasy novels have earned national and international acclaim, including the Geffen Award, the Prism Award, and multiple Colorado Book Awards. Her Lighthouse Duet, Breath and Bone and Flesh and Spirit, won the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature. She lives in Colorado at the foot of the Rocky Mountains.
The novels of Carol Berg are
- "Altogether superior." -Kirkus Reviews, starred review
- "Gut-wrenching, serious fantasy fiction." -SciFi Weekly
- "…lush, evocative storytelling…" -Library Journal
Carol Berg's books
- - are suitable for adults and older teens who like multi-layered heroic adventures.
- - appeal to both traditional fantasy readers and readers of historical, romantic, and literary fiction who are new to epic fantasy.
- - resonate with readers of Robin Hobb, Sharon Shinn, George R. R. Martin, Mary Renault, Mary Stewart, Guy Gavriel Kay, CS Friedman, Ellen Kushner, and Melanie Rawn.